Monday, February 25, 2013

nothing ever happens on Mars!

I was led to this site by slate.com. this guy has my dream job. the only thing that would make it better? innocently exploring the asylum by myself and discovering the suitcases by happenstance.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/265363123/willard-asylum-suitcase-documentation

there is a sad optimism to most of these contents. i doubt anyone can truly wrap their brain around the notion of "forever", of being locked away for the rest of their life, no matter how unhinged they are. these bags were packed by people who still felt toiletries and alarm clocks and nice heels were appropriate. some of them might even still be alive...?
I've always loved the mundane and everyday aspects of photography- the forgotten backgrounds, how labels and appliances change over the years, what people surround themselves with when they want to be seen vs. when they think no one's looking. the setting is usually the most interesting part of an image: it defines a time and place and standard. I am fucking FASCINATED by the boring shit.
so I took some random un-prettified photos around my humble lair this morning. this is my world when no one's looking.

-sorry, this is not in my apartment. these are the ceiling wires in the basement of Comcast Arena in Everett.

...et ma chateau d'amour!
-medicine cabinet.
-cold storage. I typically ignore the dopey "sketchbook" feature, but I liked the way this turned out. good lines.
-kitchen windowsill-turned-fruit sticker graveyard.
-imposingly heavy and ancient kitchen sink.
-spices! including a weird "baked potato topping" mixture from Iceland! it's mostly salt and garlic powder and mustiness.
-a mere fraction of the elegant and refined library.



No comments:

Post a Comment